“We have been at Pilgrim for three years now and couldn’t be happier. The community of this school consisting of teachers, staff, and parents is truly focused on an education that is targeted at the individual child’s needs, skills, and talents. The reason that Pilgrim is able to do this is their very small class sizes combined with their highly experienced teachers. For instance, my son’s Kindergarten class is about half the size of a typical CPS class and has both a teacher and an aide. Additionally, the school’s students have been extremely successful getting into the elite area high schools including Northside College Prep, Jones, Whitney Young, etc.”
Pilgrim Lutheran School
North Center, Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Logan Square, Edgewater, Rogers Park, Uptown, and Buena Park
4300 N. Winchester Ave.
Chicago, IL 60613-1016
About Pilgrim Lutheran School
Pilgrim Lutheran is committed to high-level academics and believes educating the whole child gives students the best chance to reach their full potential. The class size average is 14 students, ensuring all children get individual attention. Student leadership is fostered in weekly student-led chapel services and acts of service rooted in the values discussed in class and chapel. Pilgrim students become active and courageous members of society.
The Early Childhood program at Pilgrim utilizes a play-based approach. Research has shown long-term benefits of play-based learning in developing socially competent learners who are creative problem solvers.
In grades 1-8, teachers utilize a comprehensive curriculum to engage students in all subjects. The Workshop Method promotes student choice, giving them a voice in determining what they read, and Project-Based Learning brings to life social science lessons. Pilgrim partnered with the Museum of Science and Industry to develop a science curriculum and developed a collaboration with St. Ben’s Catholic School to ensure that gifted students can take high-level math courses through the advanced math program.
The Pilgrim approach to education has garnered tremendous academic success for students:
- 80% of Pilgrim students score above the 50th percentile in reading and math on the NWEA MAP test.
- 50% of Pilgrim students score above the 80th percentile in reading and math on the NWEA MAP.
- In the last 7 years, over 95% of graduates have been accepted into their 1st choice high school.
- In the last 5 years, 45% of Pilgrim graduates have gone on to CPS Selective Enrollment High Schools, in addition to admission to IB programs at Taft and Amundsen, Honors program at Von Steuben and the Arts Program at Lincoln Park.
- Full recognition from the Illinois State Board of Education
- Accreditation by the Evangelical Lutheran Education Association
- Principal Chris Comella, National Association of Elementary School Principal’s (NAESP) Distinguished Principal 2018
Student Body: Coed
Grade Levels: PK 3 & 4, K-8
- Before School
- After School
Programs and Services
- Sports Teams
After school enrichment programs
- Parent volunteer program
School tours are offered every Tuesday morning or by appointment. Please contact the school office for details.
From Our Parents
“We just moved our son this year to Pilgrim, and we couldn’t be happier. The teachers have a love of teaching that shows. They get excited about what they are teaching and get my son excited. My son used to say he hated school, something that was so hard to hear, but I never hear this anymore. He loves it there.”